Date:      Fri, 31 Jul 1998 17:17:38 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Jun-ichiro itojun Itoh <itojun@iijlab.net>
Cc:        Mark Powell <M.S.Powell@ais.salford.ac.uk>, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Hylafax 'Device Not configured'

On Friday, 31 July 1998 at 16:39:36 +0900, Jun-ichiro itojun Itoh wrote:

>>> Hi,
>>>   Noticed that my previously working hylafax hasn't been working for
>>> months now.
>>>
>>> $ faxanswer cuaa1
>>> FIFO.cuaa1: open: Device not configured
>
> 	Just for confirmation, can you use "tip" or "kermit" on the port?

This is a FIFO, not a port.  The full name is
/var/spool/fax/FIFO.cuaa1.

In my case, it was faxd that was trying to open the FIFO, and it got
back an error ENODEV (device not configured).  I *was* able to read
from it with cat:

(on /dev/ttyp8) echo 'foobar!' > /var/spool/fax/FIFO.cuaa0

(on /dev/ttyp3) /var/spool/fax 154 -> cat <FIFO.cuaa0
foobar!

Greg