Date:      Sat, 12 Feb 2000 11:25:20 -0600 (CST)
From:      Gene Harris <zeus@tetronsoftware.com>
To:        "David A. Gobeille" <dgobe@mcs.net>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DSL firewall and DNS

On Sat, 12 Feb 2000, David A. Gobeille wrote:

>  Gene Harris wrote:
>  >
>  > Hi David,
>  >
>  > First, to address the issue of DSL, you need to check with
>  > your service provider as to whether they will allow the use
>  > of your own DNS via DSL.  Some will, some have provisions in
>  > their contract with you that you will be treated like a dial
>  > up account.
>  >

>  This will be for a "business class" DSL account and you are
>  allowed to run whatever servers/services you like.
>  (Not a $50/mo. account)

*grin*  Sounds like the isp is just more accomodating.  A
"business" account here buys you the same service as a home
user for more money and 24X7 almost all the time service.
;-)

Now that I have a better idea about your service, you'll be
a lot better off letting the isp be your 2nd DNS server.
That way, if your machine blows up, folks can still view
your web site, send you email, etc.

[remainder snipped for brevity]

Gene