Date:      Sun, 8 Jul 2001 17:39:04 -0700
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cristjc@earthlink.net>
To:        Darren Reed <avalon@coombs.anu.edu.au>
Cc:        cjclark@alum.mit.edu, Yonatan Bokovza <Yonatan@xpert.com>, "'freebsd-security@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FW: Small TCP packets == very large overhead == DoS?

On Mon, Jul 09, 2001 at 08:24:28AM +1000, Darren Reed wrote:
> In some mail from Crist J. Clark, sie said:
> >
> > On Sun, Jul 08, 2001 at 02:54:53PM +0300, Yonatan Bokovza wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > > This was just on bugtraq.
> > > Is net.inet.tcp.min_mss the solution?
> >
> > To what problem? As I get to below, it is a symetrical DoS attack. As
> > a general class, these are not a big threat.
> >
> > Darren... you came up with this?
>
> So are most DoS attacks which have anything to do with sending large
> numbers of packets.  This is somewhat similar to ICMP smurf attacks
> that are directed at broadcast addresses.

A Smurf attack is asymetrical. The attacker sends out a very small
number of packets and the amplifier network does the real work. So,
attacker sends low volume of traffic, attackee gets drowned in a large
volume, asymetric.

Another thing I forgot to mention is that this is "unspoofable" in the
sense that the TCP handshake needs to be completed for it to
work. This also greatly reduces the risk.

> [...]
> > The problem for the attacker is that he needs to be ACKing all of
> > these segments. It may take more packets to move 2kB, but the packets
> > are not going out any more rapidly than they would if we just asked
> > for 50kB file (which also requires 20+ more packets without the change
> > in MSS).
>
> Think TCP windows.

Do I have to?

*think* *ouch*

I still don't see anything here that you couldn't do with "Daytona"
TCP attack. This might be a way to make them worse.

> > > What's most surprising is that there does not appear to be a documented
> > > minimum, just as there is no "minimum MTU" size for IP.  If there is,
> > > please correct me.
> >
> > The absolute minimum MTU for IP is 68 (RFC791).
>
> Yeah, enough for 64bytes of header options and 8 bytes of fragmented
> data.  Not what I'd call a "useful" minimum.

How about the 576 byte (IIRC) value? It's not really a network MTU,
but all host must be able to handle datagrams of that size.

> [...]
> > This is a Denial/Degredation of Service attack. I do not believe it
> > constitutes a major threat. Like so many such hypothetical DoS
> > attacks, it is symetrical. That is, it causes just as much hardship
> > for the attacker as the attackee. Yes, the machine being attacked
> > needs to send out more packets, but the attacker needs to be
> > responding with just as many ACKs[0]. If the attacker wants to
> > generate lots of packets from the system being attacked, why not make
> > just multple connections or try to do big downloads? What does this
> > attack do that more straight forward attempts to consume the attacked
> > machine's resources don't?
>
> PC's can only handle a set number of interrupts per second.  Serving an
> interrupt is fairly expensive.  This attack decreases the efficiency of
> the host in servicing interrupts in a dramatic fashion.  The smaller
> you can force the packets can be, the bigger the hit.

Yeah, I understand it boils down to a packets/time issue. I still
don't see how a high packet rate can be sustained.

> In testing on my LAN, which is connected into a switch, the high packet
> rate did not bother the switch (as it ought not to have) but it did the
> boxes involved.  It's not just about pumping more data through and
> saturating the network, it's about causing the server to do more work
> than it normally does in order to send the same amount of data.
>
> In this respect it's not primarily a network DoS attack, but a sytem
> resources (CPU/interrupt servicing) DoS attack also.

But I'd still like to see it done over the Internet rather than a LAN
before anyone gets too excited. Although it might be something fun to
mess with people on the LAN at DEFCON this weekend.