Date:      Fri, 01 Nov 2002 15:44:04 -0500
From:      Michael Sinz <msinz@wgate.com>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Socket so_linger setting

Matthew Dillon wrote:
>     I think your patch is fine as is, Mike!  Good find!  Even though
>     so_linger cannot be negative, it is often convenient to use a signed
>     integer to store the value to avoid unexpected arithmatic results
>     when mixing with signed operations.  My quick perusal does not show
>     any cases of this for so_linger, so we could make it unsigned, but I
>     don't see any pressing need to do so.   The range check would need
>     to be in there in either case.
>
>     Can I go ahead and commit it?

I would at least commit it as a range check...

Maybe we should look at changing so_linger to unsigned too.
(As I stated before, it "documents" the value range a bit more
correctly and, with better compilers, the "math errors" would
be warnings if you assumed signed-ness of the value :-)

--
Michael Sinz -- Director, Systems Engineering -- Worldgate Communications
A master's secrets are only as good as