Date:      Tue, 2 Jul 1996 20:08:03 GMT
From:      James Raynard <fqueries@jraynard.demon.co.uk>
To:        jimd@mistery.mcafee.com
Cc:        tcg@ime.net, dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: src tree owners

> > > On Unix, the `proper` way is for configuration files to be owned by
> > > root - it's not a good idea to allow just anybody to change them!
> >
> > I Agree! My question was/is about the Source tree!

I originally wrote "critical files such as source code or
configuration files", then changed my mind and deleted the wrong bit.
Sorry about that :-(

> 	You might consider simply adding yourself to the 'bin' group

Yep, just edit /etc/group.

> 	(and setting the SGID bit on the directories).  The default

Actually, there's no need to set the SGID bit on the directories, as
BSD systems automatically pass the group ownership on to any new
sub-directories created in the current directory - see mkdir(2).

> 	configuration seems to leave the sources g+w and owned by
> 	root.bin.

Something that just occurred to me - doesn't some network backup
software require a .rhosts file for the user "bin"? If so, doesn't
this leave the system source code potentially vulnerable?

> 	In a multi-user environment you should consider installing
> 	tripwire and being particularly careful to monitor it for
> 	source tree changes.  Anyone who can get a simply change into
> 	any source file -- and get 'root' to build it can effectively
> 	take control of the entire system. (This is true of the system
> 	binaries as well -- but more insidious).

Very true.

--
James Raynard, Edinburgh, Scotland
james@jraynard.demon.co.uk