Date:      Thu, 27 Jan 2000 23:40:35 -0600 (CST)
From:      James Wyatt <jwyatt@rwsystems.net>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>, security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Riddle me this

On Thu, 27 Jan 2000, Brett Glass wrote:
> At 09:25 PM 1/26/2000 , Matthew Dillon wrote:
> >    It's hard to say without doing a continuous tcpdump but the most likely
> >     possibility is that someone was playing a game or doing something else
> >     related to sending and receiving UDP packets, and then disconnected.
>
> Actually, I think I just found out what it was.
>
> Two words: HP JetAdmin.
>
> Apparently, some people at the site just got a new JetDirect print server.
> When you install the client software, it sets itself up -- by default --
> to test EVERY IP ADDRESS IN THE SUBNET to see if it has an HP print server
> on it.
>
> And it gets worse. The default address of the print server hardware -- which
> the client software tries to reach when it's setting up -- is (are you ready?)
> 192.0.0.192.

It can get even worse... My biggest employer thought the feature was quite
cool given 12,000+ NT workstations and a *lot* of laser printers scattered
over at least 28 states. This feature can be fantastic, but it also walked
right out to The Internet and began discovering a *lot* of printers all
over the planet! We got calls from some DOD sites, we found we could
control printers in Southeast Asia, we ran *very* low on disk, ... - Jy@