Date:      Tue, 10 Jul 2001 10:12:56 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Bill Moran <wmoran@iowna.com>
Cc:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Mall now BSDCentral

Bill Moran wrote:
> Now, I've never used partition magic, but I (personally)
> find the FreeBSD partition program in sysinstall to be the
> easiest one I've ever used. What should be changed to make
> it easier?

1)	Buy a new laptop
2)	Make the Windows partition smaller
3)	Install FreeBSD

#1 & #3 are doable, even though #3 is counter to all
the training we put people through to get them Windows
savvy.  #2 can not be done in the FreeBSD partition
program, without destroying your Windows partition,
but Partition Magic can do it, no problem.

> I disagree. I use sysinstall constantly. There's no easier
> way to install packages.

???

You suggested that people keep up to date using "cvsup";
but doing that won't result in new categories showing up
in "sysinstall", nor in your local packages archive being
updated to match your "cvsup" sources.

> > OTOH, if you really want to take a stab at a FreeBSD
> > problem that will make you famous should you succeed,
> > we'd all like to see a lovely, simple installer that
> > will run on both direct attached VGA and a serial console,
> > is lovely and well thought out, and intuitive to use.
> > Extra points if you can run it over X across the network.
>
> Obviously, these improvements would be good.

Part of this is concurrent version management.  Right
now, I can't make concurrent distribution images for
things like PicoBSD.

If I can install components on a one-off basis, I can
build a "PicoBSD" cafeteria-style.

For the serial console to work, the 2.88M boot floppy
image needs to include a "/boot.config" with a "-P"
in it, so that it comes up on video and keyboard if
a keyboard is present, but comes up on serial, if
one is not (the "-P" approach isn't perfect; as noted
in the handbook, the probe code can fail to probe the
keyboard unless it's a 101/102 key or better: it should
use the BIOS instead, as the BIOS always gets it right).

-- Terry