Date:      Sun, 25 Nov 2001 17:30:20 -0500
From:      Brian T.Schellenberger <bts@babbleon.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        smkelly@creighton.edu
Subject:   Problem with groff (man) after updating yesterday/today

I just upgraded to 4.4-STABLE from 4.3-STABLE.

All went mostly smoothly with two exceptions.

The first is minor: Once again I have to kldload snd_maestro3 and I somehow
had this going automatically pre-upgrade.  No big deal; I added it back to my
/usr/local/etc/rc.d, though before I'd found a config file that made it "just
work" for mapping sound cards to modules, and if anybody knows off-hand what
file controls that I'd be grateful.

But the second one is a real pain the neck:  man is broken because groff is
broken; I get the following the first time I ask for a man page.  (The second
time, the man command has helpfully cached an empty file for me--I'll have to
get rid of all those after I fix the first problem.):

   Formatting page, please wait.../usr/bin/groff: can't find `DESC' file
   /usr/bin/groff:fatal error: invalid device `ascii'
   Done.

Well, the /usr/share/groff/groff_font/devascii directory exists.  I'm not
very familiar with what it should have, but it looks plausible.

I'd tried going to /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/groff/font/devascii and doing a "make
install"; that doesn't fix anything.  (Got this idea from a search of the
archives for this list.  It actually had a different directory name, but that
directory does not exist on my system, but it doesn't seem to have existed
before the upgrade so I don't think that's the problem.)

In another thread about groff problems with cvsup'ing, Sean Kelley said that
this was previously discussed and a fix posted, but I can't find the
discussion to which he refers; the subject line must have a less-than-obvious
title or the discussion must not have gotten archived for some reason.  In
any case, that was all back in early November and since I just cvsup'ed
yesterday, I'd certainly have expected that a fix would have been committed
by now . . . .

Any help y'all can give is much appreciated.

--
Brian T. Schellenberger . . . . . . .   bts@wnt.sas.com (work)
                                        http://www.babbleon.org

-------> Free Dmitry Sklyarov!  (let him go home)  <-----------