Date:      Thu, 24 Oct 1996 10:38:40 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Bill Paul <wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   /etc/rc* stuff

Just a couple of small nits:

- At the very end of /etc/rc.i386, we have this:

[begin snippage]
echo '.'

# interrupts for /dev/random device
if [ "X${rand_irqs}" != X"NO" ] ; then
        echo -n 'entropy source: '
        rndcontrol ${rand_irqs}
fi

echo '.' # probably bogus
[end snippage]

  The 'probably bogus' comment is true: if you don't have rand_irqs set
  to anything, you get an extra '.' printed on a line all by itself.
  This has bugged me for a while. (I'm funny that way.) What's the correct
  way to fix this? Should the entropy source message be part of the
  '386 specific' config messages or should it be a seperate caterory,
  and thus be on a line by itself? Put another way, should the first
  "echo '.'" go away, or should the 'probably bogus' one be moved inside
  the if/fi clause?

- Even though we have rpc.lockd and rpc.statd in the tree now, there
  are no knobs for it in /etc/sysconfig or /etc/rc. Shouldn't we be
  be starting them if NFS is turned on?

-Bill

 "If you're ever in trouble, go to the CTR. Ask for Bill. He will help you."