Date:      Sun, 15 Jun 1997 09:50:33 +0200
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ccd etc. [was: overclocking]

Sorry, jumping late into the game, i've been away...

As Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> ..., and it sure would
> be nice indeed to be able to: a) tell ccd to stop using a drive,
> b) tell ccd to migrate from a drive, if enough free space on
> other drives exists, and c) adopt a new drive.

Well, i've been holding a Digital UNIX training course last week, and
the one thing that really makes me jealous is what they call Logical
Storage Manager (others call it LVM -- but they did have an inferior
product called LVM previously, which is now abandoned).

Sure, their filesystem is not as good as e.g. AIX's JFS, but they've
got their volume management completely transparent and completely
optional.  You are free to also use the classic BSD partitions, and
with their AdvFS, you can increase it by adding new volumes (you can
even decrease it).

Sure, UFS certainly doesn't allow us to increase a filesystem while
being mounted, but adding a new volume in unmounted state, and using
is as something like a different cylinder group range (or requiring
the UFS to reside on a logical volume, and extend it) shouldn't be too
hard.  Too bad, i'm missing the time and the FS experience.

--
cheers, J"org