Date:      Fri, 13 Sep 1996 08:40:24 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <toor@dyson.iquest.net>
To:        mrcpu@cdsnet.net (Jaye Mathisen)
Cc:        jhs@FreeBSD.org, sysseh@devetir.qld.gov.au, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: VM/kernel problems?

> Hmmm, as of -current supped on the 11th and 12th, my box is working just
> yippee skippee after a make world.
>
> Although I'm not using John's cache color mumbo-jumbo voodoo
> evilness.

Well, the bugs haven't been in there anyway...  The pmap code is probably
the most difficult code that I work on (for me.)  Also buffer bug was
due to an oversight in vfs_bio.  I don't think that the page-coloring
has caused any bugs yet.  Additionally, the page-coloring is kind-of
being forced on everyone, because the it is on by default (but running
in a more conservative mode: opt for 64K cache.)  If we never
see a performance hit, we might just enable it for a 256K cache, since
newer machines almost all have it, and it really doesn't hurt systems
with smaller caches very much.  You can run without it enabled, but
I don't think that code has be tested very well (sections of vm_page.c
have been re-done to support the coloring.)

(One thing that I do need to do is to move the page coloring config from
 vm_page.h to a machine dependent file somewhere.)

John