Date:      Wed, 19 Feb 1997 17:15:51 +1030 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   sbwait hang?

Two BSD systems, talking via SLIP.

FreeBSD genesis.atrad.adelaide.edu.au 3.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 3.0-CURRENT #0: Fri Nov  8 07:56:00 CST 1996     root@genesis.atrad.adelaide.edu.au:/usr/src/sys/compile/GENESIS  i386

FreeBSD cain.atrad.adelaide.edu.au 2.2-GAMMA FreeBSD 2.2-GAMMA #0: Wed Feb 19 08:03:18 CST 1997     msmith@cain.atrad.adelaide.edu.au:/local1/playpen/2.2/src/sys/compile/CAIN  i386

The file of death :

-rw-r--r--   1 msmith  users  5133540 Dec 11 09:12 linux_lib-2.3.tar.gz

No matter how I try to transfer this file, about 4MB (the figure
varies by a few kB) makes it, and then the transfer stops with both
ends sleeping on 'sbwait' (I've used ftp, ncftp, fetch, rcp so
far...).  The same happens with the file coming from a source further
away (on the other side of the source machine).

Once the transfer has stopped, I can dig up ftp and ask it to 'reget',
and nothing more will make it across.  I can move other stuff across
the link at the same time (so it's not modem lockup etc.).

The target machine was a 2.1-STABLE system yesterday when this
happened. The file transferred prior to this was twice as large.

The problem is absolutely consistent (and it's driving me _NUTS_).

ANY ideas?  At all? Please?