Date:      Wed, 6 Oct 1999 19:55:21 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>
To:        bright@wintelcom.net, pwd@apple.com
Cc:        FreeBSD-Hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Apple's planned appoach to permissions on movable filesystems

>Date: Wed, 6 Oct 1999 17:11:41 -0700
>From: Pat Dirks <pwd@apple.com>

>>This is very interesting, as a timesaver to the second option
>>(overwriting) you could use the timestamp on the file's permissions
>>to determine if the UID/GIDs are valid (if they are stale old uids,
>>or new uid's after a chown/chgrp)

>That'd be an intriguing optimization.  It would require maintaining a
>timestamp for every file and directory on the disk to note the time of
>the last change, though, in addition to the filesystem's timestamp,
>wouldn't it?  I suppose you could check that the owner/group IDs are
>corrected if the "last changed date" is ever updated and ignore the
>owner/group IDs if the last changed date is before the filesystem's
>timestamp and thereby incrementally update individual
>filesystems/directories on the filesystem without a lengthy delay at
>"adoption" time.

Please be careful here.

There is absolutely *no* (meta-)information that can be trusted on a
"foreign" medium, unless one can trust each process (computer-originated
or otherwise) that has had the ability to modify anything on the medium.

[Bad analogy follows.  Sorry, I can't help myself.]  Suppose you give a
kid a sucker.  The kid might keep it in his mouth until it's all
consumed, but that's not especially probable.  More likely, it's
repeatedly placed in his mouth & taken back out.  Often, putting it back
in his mouth is a reasonable thing to do... but it depends on where the
sucker has been in the mean time.

Cheers,
david
--
David Wolfskill		dhw@whistle.com		UNIX System Administrator
voice: (650) 577-7158	pager: (888) 347-0197	FAX: (650) 372-5915