Date:      Tue, 30 May 2000 08:40:06 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug Barton <DougB@gorean.org>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: bin/18900: patch to add colorizing feature to /bin/ls

The following reply was made to PR bin/18900; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Doug Barton <DougB@gorean.org>
To: Andre Albsmeier <andre.albsmeier@mchp.siemens.de>
Cc: FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Date: Tue, 30 May 2000 08:32:13 -0700

 [snippage]

 Andre Albsmeier wrote:

 > The misc/colorls port adds the colorizing feature to ls and
 > installs the resulting executable as colorls.
 >
 > It would be nice to have this feature in /bin/ls so other changes
 > to /bin/ls don't have to be ported to the distfile on which
 > the misc/colorls port relies.

 > The resulting /bin/ls is 195720 bytes in size. It has been
 > 194568 bytes before so the difference is only 1152 bytes
 > which should be acceptable even for a file in /bin :-).

 	For some absurd reason, including this in the base system has, in the
 past been some sort of religious war. It's high time for the aburdity to
 end. The facts about this are simple:

 Many people want it.
 If YOU don't want it, YOU don't have to use it.
 We have a good, working version.
 Looking at the current state of things, it adds almost nothing to the
 3.5 megs of binaries in /bin.

 	This patch applies to -Current, but needs a small adjustment to account
 for the -n option.

 Doug
 --
         "Live free or die"
 		- State motto of my ancestral homeland, New Hampshire