Date:      Wed, 27 Mar 96 22:23:37 CST
From:      Jarratt "2IC" Davis <jazz@hal9000.net.au>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Help! About BSD on 1 drive, DOS on another.

Hi,

I am after some advice about a problem I am having installing FreeBSD
onto my machine (I have installed FreeBSD many times in the past, but
I now have 2 Harddrives instead of 1) - I would normally post this in
News, but our news server is down semi-permanently.
I have a mainly PCI system, with a (new) IDE HD as drive 1 (for MS-DOS)
(Yeah I do need it :)), and a SCSI HD as drive 2 (for BSD).
Now, I can install BSD onto the IDE(1) from the SCSI(2)(As DOS).
	- Installing a boot manager - allows me to boot into FreeBSD
	fine (drive 1), but when I try to boot into DOS (drive 2) - I
	get the message "operating system not found" - yet I can still
	access that HD through BSS's mount_msdos, and if I use a DOS
	boot disk, I can boot into the 2nd drive (SCSI).
To install BSD onto drive 2(SCSI), and using drive 1(IDE) for DOS,I had
to use Floppies, because when I tried to install from the IDE to SCSI,
it wasnt able to find the required files (even though I had them in
the correct directories).
It looks to me like some sort of conflict between BSD and me trying to
use 2 non-similar HD's (ie. IDE and SCSI).  Or even more likely (you will
have to tell me as I dont know - Im just guessing) - DOS doesnt like
booting off of a drive other than the first one, and BSD is the same?
I cant afford another SCSI which is the reason for the IDE for DOS.  I
have checked and there is no fault with the HD's themselves...
Thankyou for any help/insight you may provide - I have spent 4 days
on this, trying to install BSD in every combination I can think of,
read all the documents I could find - including the FAQ...
Thanks again for any help.
Jazz

--