Date:      Tue, 07 Oct 1997 05:10:54 +0000
From:      Jason Wells <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: change default shell for root

At 16:04 10/6/97 -0400, you wrote:
>Hi.
>I tried to change the default shell for root in passwd file and
>master.passed file to /usr/local/bin/bash. But when I exited even
>restarted , nothing has been changed. Could anyone tell me why this
>happened and how to solve it?

Use vipw to edit anything to do with /etc/passwd and its children.

There is a passwd_mkdb function that has not yet been performed after you
edited your passwd files. Vipw runs this mkdb function for you.

man vipw

Have fun,
Jason Wells

P.S. I am finally back.... UNIX is sooo cool. How cool is it? So cool that
I actually have a job doing some low power admin stuff. It is nice to use
an OS that actually does what you tell it.