Date:      Fri, 15 Sep 1995 00:03:30 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Annelise Anderson <ANDRSN@HOOVER.STANFORD.EDU>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   How To Telnet Out

Hi--

I just installed FreeBSD (2.0.5, from the CDROM) a couple of weeks ago
(my thanks to the author of the FIPS utility and those of the installa-
tion program in general; it went fine).

I've managed to set things up so I can telnet out, and I assume that if
I can do that (ping and nslookup also work) that I should be able
to telnet in, but I can't.  (The usual message is "connection refused.")
My machine is attached directly to the Stanford ethernet; it has a number
(36.33.0.163) and a name (hvrm301.stanford.edu) known to Stanford's
DNS machine.  It's pingable, and I have run a Windows Web server on it.
It is not networked to any other machines.

etc/services has these lines:

telnet 23/tcp
telnet 23/udp
login 49/tcp #Login Host Protocol
login 49/udp

etc/sysconfig has:

hostname=hvrm301.stanford.edu  # My computer...
tcp_extensions=YES
network_interface="ep0 lo0"
ifconfig_ep0="inet 36.33.0.136"
#netmask 0xffffff00"
#ifconfig_sl0=inet 36.33.0.136
ifconfig_lo0="inet local host"
#netmask

I took sl0 out--not sure what it does, but it produced the message
that ioctl could not assign the address...

ep0 is the ethernet card (3COM509)

etc/hosts  (I've commented this out--doesn't prevent telneting out...)

#36.33.0.136     hvrm301.stanford.edu
#36.33.0.99      hoover.stanford.edu
#localhost       hvrm301.stanford.edu

etc/protocols

tcp 6 TCP

etc/resolv.conf

search stanford.edu
nameserver 36.33.0.151

etc/inetd.conf

telnet  stream  tcp  nowait  root  /usr/libexec/telnetd  telnetd

etc/ttys

console   none                     unknown   off  secure
ttyv0     "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"  cons25    on   secure
ttyv1             "                 "        "     "
ttyv2             "                 "        "     "
ttyv3             "                 "        off  secure

#ttyd0    "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"      dialup on secure  (mouse)
ttyd1     "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"      dialup on secure
ttyd2               "                        unknown off secure
ttyd3               "                        unknown off secure
#(Computer has only two serial ports)

ttyp0     none                network
#plus another 31 of these--ttyp1-ttypv

(ttyd0 should probably have whatever's right to make the mouse work--
I haven't tried that yet)

I don't have previous experience with any variety of Un*x so I
could well be missing something pretty obvious.  Any suggestions
would be appreciated.

Annelise

Annelise Anderson
andrsn@hoover.stanford.edu