Date:      Wed, 16 Dec 1998 14:48:00 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@plutotech.com>
To:        newton@atdot.dotat.org (Mark Newton)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Exabyte EXB-8200

Mark Newton wrote...

> I have an Exabyte EXB-8200 on one of my boxes which has been giving
> me faithful service under FreeBSD for ages.
>
> I upgraded that machine to 3.0-RELEASE last night, though, which
> included a switch to the CAM SCSI drivers.  Since then, my Exabyte
> hasn't been working.
>
> ahc0: <Adaptec aic7880 Ultra SCSI adapter> rev 0x00 int a irq 11 on pci0.9.0
> ahc0: aic7880 Wide Channel A, SCSI Id=7, 16/255 SCBs
>    [ ... ]
> sa1 at ahc0 bus 0 target 6 lun 0
> sa1: <EXABYTE EXB-8200 425A> Removable Sequential Access SCSI1 device
> sa1: 3.300MB/s transfers
>
> No matter what I try to write to it, it reports that it has reached
> the end of its media -- dd says:
>
>     atdot# dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/nrsa1 bs=1024
>     dd: /dev/nrsa1: end of device
>
> dump gives me a change volume request before writing its first block,
> tar reports that it has written 0 of 10240 bytes and errors out.
>
> Are there any known problems with EXB-8200's?  Do I need to change
> any jumper settings to make my drive work?  Do I need a particular
> PROM revision?  Doctor, will I ever play the piano again?

The Exabyte 8200 is known not to work with the 3.0-RELEASE version of the
CAM tape driver.  In fact, it's specifically mentioned in the release notes
as an example of a tape drive that doesn't work:

SCSI TAPE SUPPORT:

  The CAM SCSI tape driver doesn't yet handle older (and many times broken)
  tape drives very well.  If you've got an older SCSI-1 tape drive, like an
  Exabyte 8200 or older QIC-type tape drive, it may not work properly with
  the CAM tape driver.  This is obviously a known problem, and we're
  working on it.

  Newer tape drives that are mostly SCSI-2 compliant should work fine.
  e.g., DAT (DDS-1, 2 and 3), DLT, and newer Exabyte 8mm drives should
  work fine.

  If you want to find out if your particular tape drive is supported, the
  best way to find out is to try it!

The tape driver in -current will most likely work fine with your drive.
Matt Jacob <mjacob@feral.com> is maintaining the tape driver now, you
might want to contact him if you've got specific questions.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry
ken@plutotech.com