Date:      Tue, 11 Jun 1996 11:27:32 -0700
From:      Chris Odom <chris@digitech.net>
To:        "'dwhite@gladstone.uoregon.edu'" <dwhite@gladstone.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        "'questions@freebsd.org'" <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   ppp -auto, dynamic ip addressing

 	I'm having a bit o' trouble with ppp, thought maybe I could describe my situation to you and
you might be able to help?  Here goes:

	Ok, I'm running UserPPP on FreeBSD 2.1.  At the bottom of ppp.conf, I have this:

	set ifaddr 0 x.x.x.x

	Where "x.x.x.x" is the address of the default gateway on the ISP side.  So whenever I dial
in, it negotiates a PPP connection successfully, but then HANGS UP.
	So, I thought, maybe it assigns the gateway address dynamically, and I should set it to 0.
So I changed it to this:

	set ifaddr 0 0

 	And it worked!  No more hanging up on me after I connect.
	Except now I can't use ppp -auto.  When I do "ppp -auto XXXX" (where XXXX is the name of
the label in my ppp.conf script), it runs long enough to tell me that the "-auto" option does not work
when i have a dynamically assigned gateway address.  Why is this?  Is there any way around this?

Thanx in advance,

Chris Odom