Date:      Sun, 15 Dec 1996 08:23:55 -0800 (PST)
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.de>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org (FreeBSD hardware Users), questions@freebsd.org (FreeBSD Questions)
Subject:   Any experience with the Archive 4586 and 4584 DDS changers?

I'm currently in Cupertino, and yesterday I visited the Disk Drive
Depot at 500 Lawrence in Sunnyvale (where I met a salesman who seemed
to know what he was selling :-).  They have some Archive DDS tape
changers there.  Briefly:

  Archive 4584 NPR, DDS-1 with compression, 4 tapes, 16 GB total, $449
  Archive 4586 NP, DDS-2 with compression, 4 tapes, 32 GB total, $695

Both of these units were discontinued before the Conner/Seagate
takeover, and were built in 1995, but they're unused. They take up a
full-height 5 1/4" slot.  A 12 tape cartridge is also available for
$99.

My questions:

  Has anybody used these devices?
  War stories?
  Does anybody know how to address these tapes?  I'm would expect that
  they are addressed by LUNs, but that doesn't explain how the 12 tape
  cartridge works.

The salesman offered me a 15 day return, but that doesn't help me
much, since I need to take the thing back to Germany to test it.  I
suppose if somebody round here were interested, and could let me try
it out in his machine, that could be an interesting solution for both
of us.

Greg