Date:      Wed, 30 Jan 2002 01:51:03 -0200
From:      Mario Sergio Fujikawa Ferreira <lioux@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        Marcelo Cunha <mcunha@linkexpress.com.br>, Jose Antonio Junior <junior@gns.com.br>
Subject:   SurfBoard SB1000 cable modem in FreeBSD?

Hi,

	I was "trying" to help a friend get a SurfBoard SB1000
cable modem working in a Linux box much to my pain. I mean trying
because I failed horribly. :(
	At first, I tried looking for support under FreeBSD but
found none. Then, I tried to get it working under Linux since it
seems to be supported. I'll spare the details since this is not the
place for non-FreeBSD stuff. HEheh
	However, Linux has been such a pain to kernel configure
and system update (not to mention isapnp configure) that I am trying
to ask here if there is a beta around or anything that would even
remotely get a SurfBoard SB1000 working. I am sure that most of my
pain with Linux comes from my inexperience with it since I've been
mostly away for the past 4 years which I do not regret from the
damned questionary when I try to compile a kernel. No flame wars
please, I am sure people use it just fine. :)
	Anyone? Ideas on how to get the linux kernel module
binary to work? Well, we were lucky with the aureal-kmod port.  More
information about it can be found at

- Original driver written for Linux by Franco Venturi in 1998
http://www.jacksonville.net/~fventuri/

	The driver can be found under any Linux kernel at
drivers/net/sb1000.[ch]
	No flames please. I know the card is old but my
friend has no choices.

	Regards,

--
Mario S F Ferreira - DF - Brazil - "I guess this is a signature."
Computer Science Undergraduate | FreeBSD Committer | CS Developer