Date:      Sat, 13 Oct 2007 23:58:24 +0200
From:      Jeremie Le Hen <jeremie@le-hen.org>
To:        Mike Makonnen <mtm@FreeBSD.Org>
Cc:        freebsd-rc@FreeBSD.Org, jeremie@le-hen.org, bug-followup@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: conf/116416: [patch] per-jail rc.conf(5) style configuration file in /etc/jail/

--XOIedfhf+7KOe/yw

Hi Mike,

Thanks for taking care of this.

On Wed, Oct 10, 2007 at 10:40:00PM +0300, Mike Makonnen wrote:
> I like this patch, especially the second revision. I think people who
> run a very large number of jails will appreciate it. However, I'd like
> to see a few changes made:
>
> 1. Rename /etc/jail to /etc/jail.d
> 2. The jails_confdir knob should be sourced from /etc/defaults/rc.conf
>    so the sysadmin can change it if necessary.
> 3. Instead of simply populating jail_list from the directory if it's
>    empty I'd like to see it cascade through the following logic:
> 	If jail_enable=no
> 		do nothing (current behaviour)
> 	else if jail_enable=yes
> 		process jails defined in jail_list (current behaviour)
> 	else if jail_enable=auto
> 		if jail_list is NOT empty
> 			process ONLY the jails listed in it
> 		else
> 			automatically populate jail_list from /etc/jail.d/
>
>    This will give maximum flexibility and choice to the sysadmin.
>    Your patch is essentially the same, however I would like to see the
>    behaviour controlled by the jail_enable knob than have the script
>    determine for itselft what it's going to do. For example, your patch,
>    as it currently stands, would break a setup where the sysadmin had
>    enabled jails but intentionally left jail_list empty in order *not* to
>    start any jails.

I've included all your requests in the attached patch.  If this is not
the valid way to attach a file to a PR followup, please let me know.

I will be able to document this tomorrow.  $jail_confdir should
certainly be documented in rc.conf(5), but I'm not sure where to explain
the content of /etc/jail.d/.

Regards,
--
Jeremie Le Hen