Date:      Wed, 21 Aug 2013 15:28:42 -0600
From:      Will Andrews <will@firepipe.net>
To:        Hiroki Sato <hrs@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org, "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@freebsd.org>, Alan Somers <asomers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: CFR: FIB handling improvements

On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 12:20 PM, Hiroki Sato <hrs@freebsd.org> wrote:
> wi> * Always add loopback routes for non-zero FIBs, for both IPv4 and
> wi> IPv6.  Arguably, this could be a policy issue, but it is currently
> wi> less-than-trivial to specify (in rc.conf) that a route needs to be
> wi> applied to every FIB.
>
>  I am not sure why this is needed.  Are the loopback host routes
>  installed into all of the FIBs automatically when lo0 is initialized?
>
>  Even if it is required, get_fibmod() is not necessary.  The following
>  should work:
>
>  # route add -inet 127.0.0.1/8 -iface lo0 -fib all

Other places in rc.d/routing can make use of 'all' in that case.

No, loopback host routes are not installed into all FIBs, only FIB 0.
This is with rt_add_addr_allfibs == 0 (see rtinit1()), which probably
explains why.  We could add an override for lo0 addresses, but perhaps
this is something that should be configurable?  i.e. allow the
administrator to specify in rc.conf which FIBs lo0's host route should
be placed on?

--Will.