Date:      Thu, 15 Jan 2015 11:46:36 -0500
From:      Robert Fitzpatrick <robert@webtent.org>
To:        Mike Clarke <jmc-freebsd2@milibyte.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Upgrading a FreeBSD 7.1 server

Mike Clarke wrote:
> On Thursday 15 Jan 2015 11:21:36 Robert Fitzpatrick wrote:
>
>> Is it possible to upgrade a FreeBSD 7.1 server, perhaps a step up
>> process to 8.4 first? We have a virtual server that we prefer not to
>> reinstall all packages.
>
> Packages are not compatible between major revision levels of the OS so you'll
> need to reinstall all your packages anyway whatever upgrade route you take.

Yes, of course, I should rephrase that, we'd like to not have to
re-setup all software. I'd like to take the standard upgrade path and
upgrade all packages after each step up and just deal with things that
have changed with packages since the version we are running now. Since
it is a VPS, we'll be able snapshot and go back to start over if
something were to go terribly wrong. So, is it possible to use
freebsd-update to go to 8.4?

--
Robert