Date:      Mon, 19 Mar 2001 11:48:49 -0600
From:      Christopher Farley <chris@northernbrewer.com>
To:        Ben <ben@cahostnet.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CVSUP Suggestion

Ben (ben@cahostnet.com) wrote:

> I'm running 4.2-RELEASE and want to update.  I haven't compiled my
> own kernel yet.  However, I went and updated my sources and ports
> with cvsup and did a make buildworld.  Part of the instructions asks
> you to do a buildkernel and install kernel as your update.  I want to
> compile my own kernel but since I hadn't done it yet I skipped that
> section and went to the make installworld to update everything.  I
> then compiled my kernel using the kernel compiled method and not the
> buildkernel way.  Is this OK, did I mess something up doing it this
> way?  Or should I have used the GENERIC kernel to buildkernel and
> then updated my kernel after up updates were don.  Information on
> this will be appreciated.

In the past year or so there have been three different published ways to
build your kernel, so it's understandable that there would be confusion
here.

Building a new userland often requires building a new kernel. If
you are running FreeBSD 4.2 or later, here is the 'nutshell version'
of the steps:

   make buildworld
   make buildkernel KERNCONF=YOUR_KERNEL
   make installkernel KERNCONF=YOUR_KERNEL
   reboot (in single user)
   make installworld
   mergemaster
   reboot

To simply build a kernel without building world:

   make buildkernel KERNCONF=YOUR_KERNEL
   make installkernel KERNCONF=YOUR_KERNEL
   reboot

In your case, I would have compiled the GENERIC kernel during your
buildworld so you would have a kernel in sync with your userland. If you
didn't experience any serious problems during the build, consider yourself
lucky.

I believe the above procedures are pretty safe, and they are all
detailed in the handbook.

--
Christopher Farley
www.northernbrewer.com