Date:      Mon, 29 May 2000 16:53:19 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "James A. Mutter" <jmutter@colltech.com>
To:        EmailWeb@aol.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Users can't loggin now!

>     My FreeBSD box was hacked cause of a vunerbailty in qmail and I can't
> login remotly or at the console anymore
> Only root console logins are possible
> It says can't find root directory
>
> What directoryu should I chmod or what to fix the problem

How do you know that it was hacked due to a vulnerability in QMail?  Just
curious.

Anyhow, it sounds to me as if your "home" partition/directory is now
missing.  As root you should try to "cd /usr/home/<login-name>" and see if
the directory structure still exists.  For the record, I doubt that you
can just chmod a file/directory or two and make this go away.  If things
are broken beyond your ability to diagnose/repair them you might be better
off reinstalling.

--
Jim