Date:      Thu, 27 Apr 2000 22:56:51 +1000 (EST)
From:      andrew@ugh.net.au
To:        Robert Withrow <witr@rwwa.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sendmail missing?

On Thu, 27 Apr 2000, Robert Withrow wrote:

> Actually, I've kinda wondered if it would be better for *all* of these
> kind of things (separately-maintained things) to be ports and *not* be
> part of the base systems.

I think I agree, although its important that these ports still get the
care and attention they did when they were part of the base system (not
saying they wouldn't).

The installer should probably then have an option to install a
"traditional FreeBSD installation" that automatically picks sendmail, bind
etc. That way its no harder for people who want things to stay the same.

It would be nice if so much stuff became optional we could fit on smaller
drives...200MB seems to be the minimum for bin + man atm...of course
I'm not even going to dare suggest what should be made optional :-) I
don't suppose many people are trying to use smaller drives now days
anyway, except for the embedded people and thats what PicoBSD is for.

Andrew