Date:      Mon, 10 Feb 2003 15:42:03 +0100
From:      "Paul A. Mayer" <paul@fnug.net>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@online.fr>, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Synaptics touchpad support

Hi,

Terry Lambert wrote:
> "Paul A. Mayer" wrote:
>

> You actually lose the tap/tap-tap click and doubleclick button
> emulation with the new driver, and, as you note, the pressure
> sensitivity.
>
> Both of these issues were noted when the driver was posted for
> review.  It semed the consensus at the time that until at least
> the tap/tap-tap was brought back (via software emulation), the
> driver would not be replaced, only optioned.  You can check the
> list archives for details, I think.

I wasn't aware of the prehistory ... (Rahul's link in another post was
very interesting.)

> The "pressure sensitivity is, I think, really an area sensitivity
> and not a real pressure sensitivity (I can't imagine actually
> losing an axis of data!).  That would mean, like the tap/tap-tap,
> it could be emulated in software.

It would be interesting to get this back.  I can (and have) lived
without the "roller" buttons, but I wasn't aware of how used I had
become to tapping instead of clicking.

> Probably the best thing to do would be to disassemble the BIOS on
> your box, knowing the difference between the older driver's interface,
> and use the same techniques that were hidden from the older driver
> (and "just built in" instead).

This is certainly beyond my technical understanding!

/Paul