Date:      Fri, 16 Sep 2005 03:08:21 +0900 (JST)
From:      Kazuhito HONDA <kazuhito@ph.noda.tus.ac.jp>
To:        torfinn.ingolfsen@broadpark.no
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   `Re: Sound patches and volume problems?' and `Re:"Audio Advantage Micro"'

Hello,

I got "Audio Advantage Micro" and a USB device with the C-Media chip.
I would check them on recent FreeBSD-stable.
I put some WAV file into /dev/dsp or use xmms,
and changed volume with `mixer' command on console.

They had only one volume knob, `speaker'.
On windows, They look like having other knobs,
but they must be software volume knobs included OS.
Because FreeBSD don't have any software volume knob included OS,
volume of "Audio Advantage Micro"
can't be controlled without `speaker' knob on FreeBSD.

Though I could control volume with `speaker' knob,
it had one problem. Reasonable range of the knob was very narrow
for my ears, from 0 to 8 (full range of knob is 0 to 100).
If I set the knob to 9 or above, volume was too loud.

<20050825195625.3661dd05.torfinn.ingolfsen@broadpark.no>

<20050826000636.545b6b8f.torfinn.ingolfsen@broadpark.no>

<20050828234613.3e8b063a.torfinn.ingolfsen@broadpark.no>
torfinn.ingolfsen@broadpark.no

>> However, there seems to be some problems with the volume controls... it
>> seems like the volume is ... sort of relative now, not absolute.
>> And when I adjust volume, equalizer settings etc, it seems lie the
>> volume gets ... well, lost, and gets louder all the time, until finally
>> I have to shut down xmms to save my speakers / headphones.
>>
>> The last device tested was a set of USB speakers from Jazz Speakers
>> (model no. J1116U), and theyu have the same problem.

XMMS can't control volumes of USB audio devices.
I guess that some audio programs (e.g. realplayer) can't control, too.
(These programs try to change `main' volume knob,
but USB audio devices don't have `main' volume knob.
MS-Windows may force an existing knob into `main' knob.)

Some programs (e.g. mplayer) don't have this problem,
because they have a software volume controller.

>> I tried using the mixer in Xfce4 (xfce4-mixer), but it just says that
>> mixer1 has a "Spkr" output.

It's correct.  It is an ordinal behavior.
>> What tool should I use to control output volume of this thing?

At least, volume can be controlled with `mixer' command.
I expect that volume can be controlled with Xfce4-mixer.
Indeed, I could control volume with xmsmixer.
But C-Media chip has the narrow-range problem written above,
so it is defficult to control volume with GUI.
So I recommend that you use some programs
with software volume controller, e.g. mplayer.

Sincerely yours,
Kazuhito HONDA