Date:      Mon, 5 Feb 2007 19:00:44 GMT
From:      Florent Thoumie <flz@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-rc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: conf/104884: Add support EtherChannel configuration to rc.conf

The following reply was made to PR conf/104884; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Florent Thoumie <flz@FreeBSD.org>
To: Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc: Brooks Davis <brooks@freebsd.org>,
 Norikatsu Shigemura <nork@freebsd.org>,
  freebsd-bugs@freebsd.org,  FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org,
 freebsd-rc@freebsd.org
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2007 18:46:51 +0000

 --------------enigEB8CC80FB262C2C8C1201611

 Doug Barton wrote:
 > Florent Thoumie wrote:
 >> Brooks Davis wrote:

 >>> It seems basicly fine and should be useful.  (At least until someone
 >>> finally shoots the netgraph part of ng_fec in the head.)  I'd like to=

 >>> see "" be the offical way to not configure any fec interfaces. gif_up=
 's
 >>> use of NO is a mistake (IMO).  It would be OK to allow "NO" as an
 >>> undocumented synanim for "".
 >>
 >> Agreed, as said in my previous post.
 >>
 >> I think we could just set gif_interfaces and fec_interfaces to "" in
 >> -CURRENT and add the "NO" compatibility in RELENG_6 when MFC time come=
 s?
 >> That would be a candidate for 7.0 RELNOTES.
 >>
 >> Does it make any sense to you?
 >=20
 > My instinct is to have it the other way around, with "NO" being the
 > default, and "" being a synonym. We've trained people that "NO" is the
 > way to turn things off with rc, and the one glaring exception to that
 > rule (sendmail) has caused an enormous amount of confusion over the yea=
 rs.
 >=20
 > Other than that, I have no objections here.

 IMHO, it makes sense to have "NO" as opposed to "YES". In this case,
 it's a list. So an empty list would be "", but keeping
 "NO"-compatibility for the -STABLE branch ensures POLA. At least that's
 how I see it.

 --=20
 Florent Thoumie
 flz@FreeBSD.org