Date:      Mon, 12 Dec 2005 15:50:21 +0100
From:      Svein Halvor Halvorsen <svein.h@lvor.halvorsen.cc>
To:        Jan Krediet <J.Krediet@planet.nl>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Slices

On 12/12/05, Jan Krediet <J.Krediet@planet.nl> wrote:
> At first: I'm a newbie when I am talking about FreeBSD or UNIX!

Welcome to the community!

> For long time i had the wish to install BSD because I
> experienced that UNIX or related versions are more
> powerfull than OSses from Microsoft.
>
> So i decided a week ago, to download a FreeBSD vs.6 and to install it.

Sounds great!

> What i like to know from you is: is here something going
> wrong or is the size, as written in the handbook (50mB) and the faq's, no=
 longer current in your FreeBSD vs.6?

I'd say that the handbook should be updated, as 50MB is a little
short. However, the size you would need for /var will very much
depends upon what you plan on using this computer for. The heir(7)
manpage will explain in detail what files usually lives inside /var,
but to sum up its mostly log files, spool files and package
information. Also /var/tmp is used to unpack packages in, which means
it would quickly fill up if installing large packages. But this could
easily be circumvented though.

Point is: If you plan to run a mail or print server or any other
server that will have large amounts of spool files lying around, you
should increase your /var partition accordingly. Same goes for log
files. If you plan on keeping those around for a long time, and run
alot of servers that will produce lots of logs, increase /var to fit.

> So i'm a little proud in understanding so quick at this age.

You should be. Hope you have a fun time getting to know FreeBSD.

Svein Halvor