Date:      Tue, 07 Nov 1995 19:13:29 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        nate@rocky.sri.MT.net (Nate Williams), graichen@sirius.physik.fu-berlin.de, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ideas from netbsd

> Which means that instead of the one example Jordan cited (AFS) of a
> a desirable piece of NetBSD-only code, the tally is up to a minimum
> of three: AFS, JAVA, World21.  I think the actual number is higher.

This depends on how you count them up.

1. An AFS is underway for FreeBSD and should be finished fairly soon.

2. We need to integrate our own pthreads support badly enough that JAVA
   would better serve as incentive for a native port.  I don't think that
   pursuing NetBSD ABI emulation to that end is the best use of resources.

3. The World21 LKM really needs to be ported.

> To think that FreeBSD cannot benefit from NetBSD ABI support but
> NetBSD can benefit from FreeBSD ABI support is Hubris on the part
> of the FreeBSD camp.

I didn't say "can not benefit", I said "wouldn't benefit enough."  I
don't think this is hubris so much as it is a logical appraisal of
where best to apply our limited engineering resources.  We need native
pthreads and AFS support, and I think the World21 LKM would be easier
to maintain as an actual FreeBSD LKM.  Rather than chasing NetBSD
compliance in service of these goals, we should go directly past Go
and collect $200.

					Jordan