Date:      Thu, 1 Apr 1999 18:37:39 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        jkh@zippy.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Chuck is cute

> > Now, how do I order?... Shopping basket remains empty... Oh, I see, a
> > shopping system that requires cookies. (And it doesn't even say so. Talk
> > about slapping your customers in the face.) I don't buy from these as a
> > rule, but I guess there's no alternative supplier here.
>
> I think this whole paranoia about cookies really goes a bit far.

The thing about cookies, which the fools who don't mind them being
shat upon their hard drives never seem to address, is that not all
possible devices for browsing the Internet have volatile storage
to where these cookies may be shat.  If you can't store them, you're
going to have a hell of a time sending them back.

As a technology, they discourage storageless browsing devices.

Which is fine, I suppose, if you are a storage device company, or
if you are an OS vendor in the Redmond area whose "embeddable" OS
requires non-volatile RAM, and you are interested in pushing your
product more than you are interested in cheap, pervasive access to
computing resources using portal devices.

> I don't see how a shopping cart aplication can really work reasonably
> without them, unless Christian here would like to provide us with one
> which doesn't and yet provides the same functionality. :)

It's very trivial.  You use an authenticated session ID, and you store
whatever you would have shat upon the unsuspecting hard drive as local
state indexed by the session ID.

JAVA Server Pages, and even the Microsoft IIS "V.I.P.E.R." framework
can both operate in this mode.

In addition, any HTTP 1.1 capable browser can be told to keep a TCP
session open, thereby associating the session ID with a persistant
socket as an identifier for the device that initiated the session.

These are just the ones I *know* are deployed.  There are literally
hundreds of easy alternatives, and literally tens of obvious ones.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.