Date:      Tue, 23 Mar 1999 08:22:16 +1000
From:      "Taras M. Dowhaluk" <tarasd@visiondb.com.au>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        malartre@videotron.ca
Subject:   Re: Going crazy with DHCP: FreeBSD won't install

With my cable modem connection using my ISP, Telstra Bigpond in Australia,
even though I'm physically connected to the network and even though I've
got an IP address etc, my IP address isn't given access out of the network
until I have 'logged in' via their Big Pond Cable Client (using NT) or bids2login
(something like that ??) under FreeBSD.

I suggest that what happens when you reboot from win95 is that you log out
and, relinquish your IP address, hence you can't see freebsd.org.

The solution to this might be, from most simple (most recommended) to
most complex:
1. Install from a FreeBSD CD, or
2. Download appropriate distribution via Win95 and install from DOS partition,
or
3. Install via a dial-up PPP link to some other ISP, or
4. knobble the installation diskette to start a dhcp client and login to your
ISP.

> I'm starting to hate cable modem...
> As my 2.2.8 FreeBSD box was messed up, I decided to do a backup on my
> dos partition and reinstall the beast(3.1-RELEASE). I have
> Win95+Motorola CyberSURFR Wave(cable modem)+Ethernet card (SMC EtherEZ
> (8416), PnP disabled) which seem to be a NE2000 clone. I was never
> successful with DHCP before the reinstallation...
>
> Under Win95, I run the "winipcfg.exe" program:
> Host Name: DEFAULT.videotron.caDEST
> DNS Servers: 205.151.222.250
> Node Type: Broadcast
> IP Adress: 216.113.2.59
> Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
> Default Gateway: 216.113.2.1
> DHCP Server: 199.84.251.5
>
> With the two boot disk, I reboot and start the installation.
> I use ed0 has my ethernet.
> Then, I put all those information in the ed0 config (but not the "DHCP
> Server", since there are no field for that one, and I use "foo.qc.ca"
> has the host name)
> Passive or not, ftp do not work.
> Any tips?
> Malartre <malartre@videotron.ca>