Date:      Mon, 24 Aug 1998 12:32:49 -0400
From:      Martin Poulin <mpoulin@honk.org>
To:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: StarOffice & wordperfect

At 10:52 AM 8/24/98 -0400, Various People wrote:

>> Well, I would both use and welcome a MS Office like program, for a couple
>> reasons. Unlike a lot of people, I use FreeBSD not as a hobby system, but a
>> work system. I need Word Processing, spread sheets, database  and would
greeatly
>> welcome a program like Power Point.
>>
>> Personally, if they were integrated and worked together, great. IMHO,
lack of
>> everyday apps like these are holding FreeBSD back. StarOffice and Word
Perfect,
>> (I use both) are a welcome addition to the Unix world and fill a very
big hole
>> in needed apps.

Since you use both, how would you rate them?  (eg. compared to each other,
and to M$)

I am mostly interested in finding a good wysiwyg word processor, and I
really don't
want to shell out hundreds of dollars if there is a free option for me.
(hence my attempt to move away from the M$ world and into *FREE*BSD).

The reason I am looking into StarOffice is because I have heard that it is
M$ W*rd
compatible (no sense using a word processor if nobody else can read the
documents
you produce) and it apparently has a good interface.

>I agree here completely.  How else are we going to take machines back from
>Microsoft if we can't compete in the desktop arena?  If Freebsd ran MS
>office, I wouldn't have to keep installing Win95/98 on all the desktop
>computers around here.

<soapbox>
Too bad people around the world (read: North America) got so quickly sucked
into the
Micr*S*ft scam.  There used to be plenty of decent office suite solutions
out there
(lotus, wordperfect, etc.) but now it seems if you aren't using M$, you
aren't using
anything.

I do notice that Corel has put out a *nix port of Wordperfect.  How come M$
hasn't
followed suit?  Are they a little afraid of this "other" operating system
moving in on their Windows world?
Given the choice, I would rather pay money for a company that seems to care
about providing solutions to meet peoples' needs, rather than trying to
change peoples' needs to meet their solutions.  Ultimately though, I would
rather get quality *FREE* software.
(without resorting to piracy).
</soapbox>

M.