Date:      Mon, 14 Jun 1999 20:49:45 -0700
From:      jbarbee@singular.com
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   what determines the drive number of disks?

Hi,

  I used to have 1 drive, named da0, on adv0 (an advansys controller).

  I added 4 more drives on ncr0 (a symbios controller).

  I recompiled the kernel for ncr0 as well as da1..4.

  When I start up what used to be da0 is now da4.  In the boot string I
must type 0:da(4,a)kernel or the kernel can't mount root (i thought adding
"root on da4" in the kernel fixes that).  Even when I do startup, the fstab
doesn't match the new hardware setup.

  What determines the disk number upon startup?  How can I fix this?
Should I just edit my fstab and set up a new default boot string, even
though that seems silly?

john.
please cc me.