Date:      Fri, 22 Sep 1995 00:09:22 -0700
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@ref.tfs.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Embarrassing problem re: ed0

I promissed a friend
"Sure we can put freeBSD on your spare system quicker than you would imagine"

3 hours later..

I have tried 2 SMC elite  (8013)
and one 3c503 that runs as ed0 on my pentium here..

the machine is a pentium 60 (as is mine)
brand unknown, made in IRELAND (!)

on this machine all 3 of these boards fail to probe with
"ed0: cannot clear shared Ram at xxxxx" (or similar)
where xxxxx == 0xC0000 0xC8000 0xCC000 0xD0000 0xD8000

these boards work JUST FINE elsewhere.

There seem to be no options in the setup that would effect this..
it's almost as if there was some memory remapping going on or
something

Has ANYONE a clue what this might be?
(or at least seen this before?

the large chips on the MB are:
S82378IB

S82433LX ( times 2)

S82434LX

AMIBIOS version 1.00.03.AF2

I've tried the machine with the cache off and in NON_TURBO mode..
that seems to be all there is to adjust on this thing..
no bus speed or anything..

julian