Date:      Tue, 12 Sep 1995 14:37:23 GMT
From:      Charlie Root <root@pennylane.cup.hp.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Sound Card

Hi. I have been trying for the last couple of days to get my system to
play audio files. I have 486 system with ProAudioSpectrum16 sound card.
The scsi drive on that card has a Toshiba CDROM.

I have configured nca controller and pas0 driver. When the sytem comes
up, it says that is was able to identify the device (pas0 as ProAudio).
I have tried using /dev/dsp* /dev/audio* and all of them say that the
device is not configured.

How do I know what the major and minor number should be for using the
sound card? Should I create a new device? I did run /dev/MAKEDEF snd
and i tried all the devices it created and none of them appear to be
configured.

Thanks for any pointers or help you can provide.
Venkat
venkatp@cup.hp.com