Date:      Mon, 17 Aug 1998 16:43:51 +1000 (EST)
From:      Darren Reed <avalon@coombs.anu.edu.au>
To:        andrew@squiz.co.nz
Cc:        j@lumiere.net, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ipfw log limits by connection vs. rule

In some mail from Andrew McNaughton, sie said:
[...]
> I've had this in mind for a while, but not yet had the time to write it.
> Has anyone got a script set up to summarise this stuff as it comes in?

The most recent versions of IP Filter `compress' log entries for "similar"
packets.  That is, if someone sent a flood of 50 ICMP packets (all the
same) at you, with no other packets in between, it may become 1 log entry.

The deciding factors are:
- is this packet the same as the one before (checksum with private seed
  for comparison basis) ?
- how often the kernel log is "polled" (that is, using the above example,
  if I read the log after the first 10, it would have a count of 10,
  and then again after it was finished, it would have a count of 40
  with the total being 50 for the two log entries).

Darren