Date:      Thu, 10 Aug 1995 01:33:25 -0400 (EDT)
From:      tdoyle@sunbelt.net (Edward "Ted" Doyle)
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   EIDE support in version 2.0.5 and install problems

   I recently upgraded from a 386DX-40 with a
standard IDE HDD controller to a 486DX4-100
with an Enhanced IDE controller.
   My old version, FREEBSD 1.1, did not work
any more.  I understand that, the reason is that
version 1.1 does not support Enhanced IDE
controllers.  Does version 2.0.5 ??

    In order to try to find out if EIDE drives
are supported, I tried to install a minimal
version. While trying to install this new version,
I ran in to a purplexing problem.
    I used a Windows FTP program to get all of
the BIN files (bin.aa - bin.ch) and the man pages
for version 2.0.5, as well as the root and boot
floppy images.  I put the binaries and man pages
in a DOS partition on my hard drive.  The install-
ation program starts up and runs fine. When it is
installing the BIN files until it gets to 68%
completed, I get an error message:

'Write failure on transfer! (wrote -1 bytes of 10240 bytes)'

    I have tried this several times it always fails
at the same point with the same error message.  I
have 300 megabytes for the BSD slice of the drive.
I have played around with the partion sizes.  At
one time I had 100 meg for the root, 100 meg for
the /usr, and 100 meg for the swap area.  It still
failed at the same point, with the same message.

   I am only trying to install the 'BIN' files and
the manpages.  All together about fifty files of
200K each or about 10 megs assumming no compression.
Making an educated guess I figured out the file with
the problem must be bin.bp, bin.bq or bin.bs.  I
transferred the files from a different ftp site, but
it still fails at the same point with the same error
message.

    So I have two questions:
      1) Are Enhanced IDE drives supported in
         version 2.0.5?
      2) What is going wrong with my attempts
         to install version 2.0.5?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-- Ted
tdoyle@sunbelt.net
"The only stupid question is the one that is not asked"