Date:      Sat, 29 Jun 2002 15:00:18 -0400
From:      Craig Rodrigues <rodrigc@attbi.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-firewire@freebsd.org
Subject:   Booting FreeBSD-CURRENT off of a Firewire disk?

Hi,

I recently bought a new laptop computer, a Winbook N3:

http://www.winbookcorp.com/support/n3/n3_support.html

I am interested in installing FreeBSD-CURRENT on this machine.
The hard drive can be pre-installed with Windows XP, and I don't want
to blow away that install, nor do I want to resize the partition.

The computer comes with a "Texas Instruments OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Adapter".
Would I be able to buy an external Firewire hard disk and install a bootable
FreeBSD partition on that disk?  What is the state of Firewire support
under FreeBSD?

The computer also comes with the following hardware:
- Lucent Winmodem
- Accton EN2242 10/100 Ethernet adapter
- S3 Twister video card

Would I be able to use these under FreeBSD?

Thanks.
--
Craig Rodrigues
http://www.gis.net/~craigr