Date:      Fri, 27 Sep 2002 16:01:37 -0700
From:      "Coleman, Ellery" <ellery.coleman@medtronic.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-arch@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Memory Allocation Accounting  (a conceptual question)

Hey guys,
   Can you reference any articles/FAQ's that deal with the following =
questions:

1- Does the modern unix kernel (ie. FreeBSD, solaris, linux) implement =
Memory Allocation Accounting (MMA)?  In my mind, an MMA system would =
keep track of how much memory each process has "checked out" and =
returned since it began running.  So if a proccess checks out 512MB =
throughout it's lifetime, and only returns 256MB before it dies, the =
kernel would have a record of this.  And there would be some command =
line tool which enabled users to access this accounting information. =20

2- If modern kernels do not implement MMA, can this info be retrieved by =
sifting through the /proc filesystem?  (perhaps i could put together a =
system memory allocation map using perl to sift through the /proc data?)

3- If i were able to determine that a process had died without returning =
all of it's memory, does the modern unix kernel provide a mechanism that =
would allow me to retrieve/recycle this wasted memory?

If these are stupid questions, or if there are some elementary kernel =
design principles that preclude the MMA functionality as i have =
described it, please enlighten me.  Many Thanks in advance for any =
comments/suggestions.

    best regards,
        o-> el