Date:      Wed, 5 Jun 1996 10:47:59 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Dave Babler <dbabler@Rigel.orionsys.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Updating advice

Greetings... I need some advice

I am currently running 2.0.5 installed vie floppies from the Walnut Creek
CD. Hardware is a 486DX2-66, 500MB Maxtor IDE, 16MB RAM, Intel
EtherExpress and an internet connection. The initial installation was a
"look-see" ... I liked what I saw. The original installation was via
floppy images because I had no CD-ROM on the target machine. I've since
been adding bits and pieces with the ports collection and now have the 2.1
CD. I have been unable to make a spare CD-ROM drive and controller work.
The controller, a Future Domain 840 is recognized by the sea0 driver, but
the drive (an NEC CDR-36) is not. The driver returns "arbitration
timeout" when probing for devices. So unless somebody can help me fix
that one, I still can't directly access the CD.

I keep finding that the ports files are behind the available distfiles,
and often the specified source isn't even available any more. I also
would like to update the whole release to -stable or -current but at a
loss to determine a rational way to do that without losing what work I've
done. With only 500MB to work with (less... I need to reset as much as I
can for users) I'm not sure it's feasable to maintain the whole source
tree. I have no desire for any X-windows applications - the system is
intended for use by ANSI-only users. As mentioned, I have a live internet
connection. What is my best path for upgrading?

Thanks in advance.

-Dave Babler