Date:      Mon, 25 Apr 2016 17:25:16 +0200
From:      Kristof Provost <kp@FreeBSD.org>
To:        samira <nazari.s11@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-pf@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Whether pf generates " No buffer space available "  error ?

On 2016-04-22 23:43:29 (-0700), samira <nazari.s11@gmail.com> wrote:
> I using FreeBSD9.2

It's worth noting that FreeBSD 9.2 is no longer supported (and hasn't
been since the end of 2014). You really should upgrade to something with
security support.

That could be 9.3, but that release will only be supported until the end
of 2016, so you might want to jump straight to 10.3 (supported until
April 30, 2018).

> When the transmission of huge amounts of http packets and pf action is to
> drop packets, suricata crash and the following message appears in the
> suricata.log file:
> <Warning> - [ERRCODE: SC_WARN_IPFW_XMIT(84)] - Write to ipfw divert socket
> failed: No buffer space available
>
> Has anyone dealt with this issue?
>
> There is a similar problem:
> By sending ICMP packets to the queue and send ping from the interface also
> seen this problem  and the following message is displayed:
>  ping: sendto: No buffer space available

I've never seen this before, but it looks like you're running out of
memory. Perhaps the queue is not getting limited the way it should be,
and the traffic just piles up, until it's used all of the memory and
things start breaking.
Or perhaps the dropped packets are not freed, and we're leaking memory
that way.

> If the specified bandwidth increased and not drop any packets, this problem
> does not occur.

That is consistent with both hypotheses, yes.

The output of 'netstat -m' before and after you've encountered the
problem should help to confirm that.

Can you reproduce this on a supported release, or (ideally) on current?

Regards,
Kristof