Date:      Sun, 15 Aug 2004 16:28:29 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        colin.percival@wadham.ox.ac.uk
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Looking for Pentium M owners...

In message: <6.1.0.6.1.20040814204255.03fa38f8@popserver.sfu.ca>
            Colin Percival <colin.percival@wadham.ox.ac.uk> writes:
: I'm currently writing Enhanced SpeedStep code for FreeBSD, and Intel's
: lack of documentation is getting in the way.  I think I've managed to
: find the MSR with the data I need, but I need some people with Pentium
: M processors to run a quick test for me to verify this.  In particular,
: I really need results from the new 90nm Pentium M processors (these are
: the ones with model numbers -- "Pentium M 735", "Pentium M 745", etc).
:
: What I need people with Pentium M processors to do is this:
: 1. Download and extract http://www.daemonology.net/tmp/dumpmsr.tgz
: 2. `make`
: 3. `kldload ./dumpmsr.ko`
: 4. `kldunload dumpmsr`
:
: When you kldload, it should print three lines; please send me those,
: along with the output of `sysctl hw.model`, and (if you know) the
: model name/number under which Intel advertises your processor.
:
: IF YOU ARE NOT RUNNING A PENTIUM M PROCESSOR, THIS WILL PROBABLY CRASH
: YOUR MACHINE.
:
: If I get the results I'm hoping for out of this, I'll probably have an
: Enhanced SpeedStep kernel module available for 5.x within the next week.

Did you know nate (njl) is also working on one of these?

Warner