Date:      Tue, 2 Jul 1996 17:43:00 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Robert Du Gaue <rdugaue@calweb.com>
To:        gtc@aloft.att.com
Cc:        us@pop.de, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD and 3COM 3c509

> I use a 3Com 3C579 on 2.1.0-RELEASE, which uses the same driver as the
> 3C509.  I haven't noticed any problems with it.  Note, however, that
> there is very little traffic on my LAN, so I don't know how good or bad
> it works under a lot of stress.  Any other users of this card care to
> comment?

The driver(s) and the 3Com-3c509 do not perform well under stress at all.
Trust me, I just put a 12 gig file server up and forgot to pull out the
3c509 card we use as a spare/test card. We use all PCI SMC cards and the
DE0 interface for all our heavy duty machines and have never had a problem
directly related to that interface/card.

Robert Du Gaue - rdugaue@calweb.com                  http://www.calweb.com
President, CalWeb Internet Services Inc.                    (916) 641-9320