Date:      Sat, 21 Feb 2009 11:12:51 +0100
From:      "Thomas Schmitt" <scdbackup@gmx.net>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problem with .so numbering on FreeBSD in contrast to Linux

Hi,

it looks like the problem is indeed in ltmain.sh
of my source packages. The decisive code piece
is not the one from my last mail but this

        freebsd-elf)
          major=".$current"
          versuffix=".$current";
          ;;

which i replaced by this (learned from case linux)

        freebsd-elf)
          major=.`expr $current - $age`
          versuffix="$major.$age"
          ;;

Input parameters are: current=31, age=27, revision=0.
So this now leads to installation of
  libburn.so.4.27
which i believe complies to policies-shlib.html.

Next questions:

Is  freebsd-aout  of any importance nowadays ?

Is there a reason known why i should keep the
cumbersome increment of major in that case ?
        freebsd-aout)
          major=".$current"
          versuffix=".$current.$revision";
          ;;