Date:      Sat, 29 Jun 2002 12:40:00 -0700
From:      "Brian M. Kincaid" <bmk@adsl-64-174-159-18.dsl.sntc01.pacbell.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Multibooting FBSD, WinME and WinXP -- how do you do it?

OK, thanks to all for the help!

I now have a triple-boot system with WinMe, WinXP (NTFS), and FreeBSD 4.6.

I started with the following configuration:

disk 1: Win XP
disk 2: FreeBSD
disk 3: FAT32 data disk
disk 4: FreeBSD data disk

This arrangement could not be converted into a multi-boot environment, so I
first unplugged both FreeBSD disks to prevent them from being munged by any
Microsoft installation software. I then made sure I had adequate backups of
the Win XP stuff (I copied the Win XP disk to another (blank) disk and
unplugged it to prevent accidental damage).

disk 1: Win XP
disk 2: FAT32 data disk
disk 3: none
disk 4: none

I then blew away Win XP, installed Win Me on disk 1, and installed Win XP on
disk 2, using the "choose drive letter for install" option to get a multi-boot
system.

I then put back my FreeBSD disks:

disk 1: Win Me
disk 2: Win XP
disk 3: FreeBSD system
disk 4: FreeBSD data

After installing the FreeBSD boot manager on disk 1 (it was already on disk 3),
everything worked.

Since I only have four physical slots for disks on my Dell 8200, I then pulled
out the FreeBSD disks, installed my Win XP original copy, and copied over
everything I needed to my new Win XP installation. I then replaced the FreeBSD
disks.

A bit convoluted, but it worked.

Thanks again,

Brian