Date:      Tue, 3 Aug 1999 12:31:43 +0930 (CST)
From:      Greg Lewis <glewis@ares.maths.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        sanjay@packetstream.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3c905 and 3c905B

> Hello
>  I am trying to enable the multiple ethernet cards, in my FreeBsd box.
> IF i have mix of 3com 3c905 and 3c905B. Only 3c905 card is commin up and
> 3c905B is not.
>
> Istarted browing the code where the kernel actually probe the devices.
> In the file if_vx_pci.c  there is a probe routine. Based on the device
> id passed to the routine , it returns the type of type of the device. In
> my version of the kernel code , it never returns 3c905B, instead it
> return NULL.
>
> The question i have is, is there any fresh version of the if_vx_pci.c
> file which supports 3c905B 3com ethernet cards

Which version of FreeBSD are you using?  3.1 and later (and probably
earlier releases as well) detect my PCI 3c905B using the xl driver, e.g.

xl0: <3Com 3c905B-TX Fast Etherlink XL> rev 0x30 int a irq 17 on pci0.16.0
xl0: Ethernet address: 00:10:5a:61:6d:b0
xl0: autoneg complete, link status good (half-duplex, 10Mbps)

--
Greg Lewis 				glewis@trc.adelaide.edu.au
Computing Officer			+61 8 8303 5083