Date:      Tue, 2 Feb 1999 10:18:49 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
To:        Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
Cc:        netbsd-alpha@netbsd.org, freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: (PROBLEM SOLVED) Re: restore to srm that doesn't.... (fwd)

On Tue, 2 Feb 1999, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 02, 1999 at 09:39:48AM +0000, Doug Rabson wrote:
> > On Mon, 1 Feb 1999, Matthew Jacob wrote:
> >

> > > An interesting FYI about CIA. Jay works at Digital....

Both BSD's try to detect this and disable prefetching on the PCI bus to
work around it.  One of my machines (a 433au) has this bug and is stable
with the workaround.  I don't know what kind of performance hit is
involved since the machine is fast enough for my purposes :-)

> Interesting tidbit: a PC164 (no LX) with all the memory slots full has more
> memory bandwidth than a PC164LX, because the PC164LX can't interleave its
> SDRAM.  It's also a lot less likely to have various dreadful bugs...
> nb01.netbsd.org is a pc164 which chugged along as a fileserver for me for
> months with great performance and no notable problems.  I kinda wish they'd
> kept making the plain PC164 a little longer...

Cool!  And I thought the memory bandwidth on my PC164LX was good...

--
Doug Rabson				Mail:  dfr@nlsystems.com